This patch aims to provide correct dwarf unwind information in function epilogue for X86.
It consists of two parts. The first part inserts CFI instructions that set appropriate cfa offset and cfa register in emitEpilogue() in X86FrameLowering. This part is X86 specific.
The second part is platform independent and ensures that:
- CFI instructions do not affect code generation
- Unwind information remains correct when a function is modified by different passes. This is done in a late pass by analyzing information about cfa offset and cfa register in BBs and inserting additional CFI directives where necessary.
Changed CFI instructions so that they:
- are duplicable
- are not counted as instructions when tail duplicating or tail merging
- can be compared as equal
Added CFIInstrInserter pass:
- analyzes each basic block to determine cfa offset and register valid at its entry and exit
- verifies that outgoing cfa offset and register of predecessor blocks match incoming values of their successors
- inserts additional CFI directives at basic block beginning to correct the rule for calculating CFA
Having CFI instructions in function epilogue can cause incorrect CFA calculation rule for some basic blocks. This can happen if, due to basic block reordering, or the existence of multiple epilogue blocks, some of the blocks have wrong cfa offset and register values set by the epilogue block above them.
CFIInstrInserter is currently run only on X86, but can be used by any target that implements support for adding CFI instructions in epilogue.