This is a mass-market version of the "dump AST" tweak we have behind
I think in this friendlier form it'll be useful for people outside clang
developers, which would justify making it a real feature.
It could be useful as a step towards lightweight clang-AST tooling in clangd
itself (like matcher-based search).
Advantages over the tweak:
- simplified information makes it more accessible, likely somewhat useful without learning too much clang internals
- can be shown in a tree view
- structured information gives some options for presentation (e.g. icon + two text colors + tooltip in vscode)
- clickable nodes jump to the corresponding code
- a bunch of code to handle different node types
- likely missing some important info vs dump-ast due to brevity/oversight
- may end up chasing/maintaining support for the long tail of nodes
Demo with VSCode support: https://imgur.com/a/6gKfyIV