This patch add a cross-block dead store elimination pass that eliminate stores.
This pass work by detecting if a store is observable. this detection has 2 phases. the first phase is a search through the MemorySSA graph for loads or end of function. if on all path in the memssa graph hit a store before they hit a load. if the first phase didn't find any use we passe to the second phase which check if an optimization barrier (throw, fence ...) is reachable between the "dead" store and a killing store. and that all killing store together post-dominate the "dead" store. this pass also has a special case for non-escaping pointers on which we can consider end of function as a killer.
todo in the patch:
- improve the test suite.
todo probably in separate patchs:
- measure and tune for compile time impact.
- fix the many todos in code.
- handle builtin / library functions.
- deal with store merging.
- improve the pass to deal with partial overwrites.
for a meta build of check-llvm + check-clang here is the stats:
- sum of dse.* transformation old: 145k this: 202k
- sum of dse.NumFastStores old: 98k this: 174k